Avoid reading frustration as your child Learns to Read

Trying to read a difficult book is frustrating!

Have you ever sat down and read a book on quantum mechanics?    

OK some scientists out there may do but us mere mortals simply don't understand many of the words.   It's not fun to read and we choose to avoid books on quantum mechanics.

Now imagine your Lucas, a 6 year old boy learning to read, you don't actually know many words yet.   So most books may as well be about quantum mechanics, they're not fun unless there's pictures.

If Lucas reads a book with 100 words, yet he can't read 10 (or more) of those 100 words.    He will be frustrated by the experience, he won't enjoy it!     That's only 10% of the book, not very much, you need to be careful when pushing your child to read better.    To keep them reading within the range of difficulty that's right for them.

We recommend using text at students’ instructional level, a minimum of 90% of word reading accuracy on a cold read
— Bursuck and Damer (2007)

Simple rule - if the child gets 10% or more of the words wrong when reading a book; it's too difficult!     Find easier books to practice reading with & avoid frustrating your little reader.

Levelled books are useful

This is where levelled readers become useful.   These are special books created by educational publishers such as Pearson Education, they're graded or levelled by specialist reading educators to suit a range of reading abilities.     When your child starts to read you begin with the easiest levels, as they make progress and read better the difficulty level increases.

The grades & levels used by various publishers, countries & schools varies making life complicated for parents; at Chatty Kidz we've focused on a simple scale of levels 1 - 30.     Here's a simple conversion chart incase you want to see how the simple levels relate to your schools grading system for reading difficulty - click HERE to see it.

We have 1000's of levelled readers instantly available all grouped into their respective level of difficulty.    Try and buy these in a shop & you'll pay between $7-$9 each, you can use all our books for one low monthly fee.

Read to your child regularly

When reading to your child, the level of difficulty is not as important, you bring the story to life and entertain them.    Though in reality your not always available to read to your child so we can read to them instead, our books include a video of someone (another child, a grandparent or parent) reading a story to them.    It's better than them playing games on your iPhone or watching TV because they read along with the story.

You need to encourage them to explore the book video's around the level where they can read 95% of the words.

You can check out some of our videos here

Your child should read 3-5 books a week

The level of reading difficulty is very important when your child is reading a book to you.    You want them to read 90% of the words themselves, whilst you help with the remaining 10% of words they're learning.

This ensures your child enjoys reading more, simply because they can read most of the words on their own.   They feel they've achieved something & motivates them to achieve more.

Overtime you will see them enjoy reading more, they'll want to read to you more often and they'll read better.       They'll progress through the levels of difficulty until one day you'll see them picking up magazines or books to read.

A proud moment for any parent when their child progresses from 'Learning to Read' to 'Reading to Learn'.